Thursday, July 2, 2009

Paprika

Just watched Paprika. I’m not an anime fan, but this one had a lot of good elements. Many
times this movie got really creepy and that was good. One of the things I didn’t like was the various references to other movies and cartoons. For example, in one of the dreams, the main character suddenly turned into Pinoccio. And this wasn’t some new Pinoccio that was drawn by the creators of the movie, but it was Disney’s Pinoccio, dressed up in the same outfit and with the same shape of nose, just slightly changed. Another reference like this was in the toys, I’m pretty sure some of these toys were cartoon characters and the Tarzan. These references could be compared to stereotypes, stereotypical Pinoccio, stereotypical Tarzan, etc. And possess all the downsides of stereotypes. Besides, I think that all these references make the movie a way less genuine, as well as harder to perceive as a whole. I would say this movie is over’saturated with characters and details. Especially overwhelming was the crowd parade scene in various dreams. But I am just being picky:)

No comments:

Post a Comment